[Paraview] Slow loading data with geometry

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Sun Mar 6 22:05:25 EST 2016

Hi WT,

You may be running into an issue that can come up with the OpenGL2
renderer in ParaView 5. Please see section 2.2.3 in the GeantToVTK
plugin page: https://cdcvs.fnal.gov/redmine/projects/geanttovtk/wiki/Wiki

I have quoted that section here for convenience:

[begin quote]
The output of the GeantToVTK plugin is a vtkMultiBlockDataSet, which
is a hierarchical structure of vtkPolyData objects. ParaView version 5
has a new renderer using OpenGL2 that is extremely fast and is used
when a vtkMultiBlockDataSet is homogeneous. A vtkMultiBlockDataSet is
homogeneous when all of the constituentvtkPolyData objects within have
the same list of attributes. That is if one vtkPolyData object has a
Normals vector, then all of the objects should. Or none at all should.
AllvtkPolyData objects need to have the same list of attributes (e.g.
scalar point data).

The vtkMultiBlockDataSet from GeantToVTK is heterogeneous. Some
vtkPolyData have Normal vectors, others don't. Some have particular
attributes, like color and density; others don't. This situation
occurs because the vtkMultiBlockDataSet follows the Geant4
visualization output. Some Geant objects have particular attributes
and others don't. The consequence is that a slow generic renderer is
used. For a complicated geometry, the generic renderer could be so
slow as to make ParaView unusable. Note that this situation only
affects ParaView v5. ParaView v4 uses an OpenGL1 renderer. The fast
OpenGL2 renderer can be many times faster though, and so it is useful
to upgrade to ParaView v5.

The Normalize a multi-block dataset filter makes a heterogeneous
vtkMultiBlockDataSet homogeneous by adding missing attributes to the
vtkPolyData with appropriate defaults. The resulting
vtkMultiBlockDataSet should trigger the fast renderer. This fast
renderer is anywhere from 20x - 200x faster than the generic renderer.
[end quote]

Would you mind trying this "Normalize a multi-block dataset" filter
and see if that improves the animation speed?

Thanks,
Cory

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer