[Paraview] SyntaxError reported parsing Python Calculator ?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Jun 23 18:39:40 EDT 2016

Dean,

Do you have "Auto Apply" on? This may be leading to the problem - this
filter is added to the pipeline and the Apply button is effectively
pressed right away while the Python Calculator expression is empty.
Having "Auto Apply" on, I can reproduce the error message you get.

Can you try disabling "Auto Apply" and report how that goes? We really
should handle the empty expression better for this very case.

Thanks,
Cory

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Dean Neumann <dwneumann at gmail.com> wrote:
> on my paraview 5.0.1 64-bit on Windows-7
> (from precompiled distribution at paraview.org)
>
> What is the reason that I get the following errors when instantiating a
> Python Calculator filter on a single input of type UnstructuredGrid:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> File "<string>", line 4, in <module>
>
> File "C:\Program
> Files\ParaView\lib\paraview-5.0\site-packages\paraview\calculator.py", line
> 102, in execute
>
> retVal = compute(inputs, expression, ns=variables)
>
> File "C:\Program
> Files\ParaView\lib\paraview-5.0\site-packages\paraview\calculator.py", line
> 74, in compute
>
> retVal = eval(expression, globals(), mylocals)
>
> File "<string>", line 0
>
> ^
>
> SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing
>

> What is being parsed?   The filter input is an internal paraview data set.
> The input was active at the time the filter was instantiated.  The error
> occurs as soon as the filter is selected and added to the pipeline.
> I can attach the input dataset if requested.
> Thanks.
>
> Dean Neumann
>
> CEO,  Malaspina Labs Inc.
>
> www.malaspina-labs.com