[Paraview] Comparison of Visit and ParaView development

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Jun 20 12:02:14 EDT 2016

Hi Paul,

This is very valid criticism. As I read it, there are two parts to the
issue.

> How bugs are handled.

You are absolutely right that we have done a poor job responding to
community bug reports and fixes. Both on VTK & ParaView bug trackers but
especially on the ParaView side. We have been having some discussions on
how to address this. Part of the solution is going to be on the tool side.
We will move away from the Mantis bug tracker to the Gitlab bug tracker and
setup some processes to maintain the bug list more easily. We will also
expire bugs more quickly to manage the list in a reasonable way. The other
part is to change our attitude towards community bugs (as opposed to bugs
Kitware is funded to fix). We have always had resources to go after a
modest amount of such bugs but culturally it has not been a priority.
Utkarsh and I will work on ways of addressing this. More on this in the
near future...

> Stability of ParaView.

I don't (fully) agree with your assessment here. ParaView is very stable,
within a particular expanding feature set that the community actively
supports. Two issues here: 1. It is hard to define what this feature set
is, 2. ParaView is open ended so it supports a much larger feature set out
of box. We support a large community that uses ParaView day-to-day for
their production work and we have clear evidence (feedback) that ParaView
has grown very stable. These folks usually leverage a small subset of what
can be done with ParaView - the same feature set provided by many other vis
tools. If you go beyond this set, you venture into areas that are not
tested for all different combinations and because of the previous issue of
how we address (don't) community bugs, issues are not always addressed
here. We will work at doing better addressing bugs here but it will never
be perfect. We will never be able to gracefully handle input files that are
out of spec for example. This is probably the #1 reason ParaView crashes.
Nor will we able to handle all cases where ParaView runs out of memory (for
example because someone converted a regular grid to an unstructured grid
through clipping). It is simply not possible to provide an open-ended tool,
which is a light layer on top of VTK, and support stability of every
infinite combination. Let's not even get started with what one can do using
Python :-)

Best,
-berk