[Paraview] Can a collaborative client share a pipeline without creating a view itself?

Peter Debuchev peterdebuchev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 05:22:03 EDT 2016

Dear Utkarsh,
to have some basis for this discussion, I'd like to mention that my
knowledge on the collaboration functionality is limited to what is shown in
http://vimeo.com/34480656 and to the class reference
http://www.paraview.org/ParaView/Doc/Nightly/www/cxx-doc/classvtkSMCollaborationManager.html.
Everything else I am trying to understand by debugging. Or does additional
documentation (design documents, message exchange protocols, ...) exist?

So, although the concept of promoting different clients as master is
obvious from the video above, something more is needed to allow any slave
to change the pipeline automatically by permission of the master: the slave
(S) must request to be promoted as master to the current master (M), M must
promote S as master, S operates on the pipeline, and S must promote M as
master again.
After some thoughts, my suggested option 2) may be easier and more secure:
S would send its intended operations to M, and M executes them. Here, the
question is whether I have to invent a new streaming language to encode
pipeline changes that S wants to send to M? Or can S just build the
pipeline as intended and use some available serialization to send this
pipeline state to M?

Any of the options requires some additional messages to be send between
slaves and master. This is what I am trying to figure out. The --cslog
options looks very useful, but a short overview which classes are involved
in sending custom messages including an encoded pipeline state would be
even more helpful.

Thanks
Peter