[Paraview] Error in Launching Paraview 5.0.0

Shawn Waldon shawn.waldon at kitware.com
Thu Jun 16 09:32:48 EDT 2016

Hi Mandar,

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that what is going on is this:  ParaView
5.0 was updated to require a much newer version of OpenGL, so your graphics
hardware and/or drivers may need to be updated.  In 5.0.0, this causes a
crash like this since trying to create the OpenGL context fails.  One of
the fixes in ParaView 5.0.1 was that it checks your OpenGL version first
and if ParaView can't run with that version it gives you a nice error
message.  I would recommend trying with 5.0.1 to see if this is indeed the
problem.  Then if it is, you will need to figure out how to get your
computer to supports an OpenGL version >= 3.2 or build ParaView from source
with the older OpenGL1 rendering backend.

HTH,
Shawn