[Paraview] Comparison of Visit and ParaView development

Paul Melis paul.melis at surfsara.nl
Thu Jun 16 04:52:21 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 15-06-16 16:18, Berk Geveci wrote:
> I believe that the main differentiator between ParaView and other vis
> tools out there is the broad functionality _and_ the code quality.
> Having the two together is really tough but our community managed this
> with a heavy emphasis on code review and code testing. I strongly
> recommend that folks look at the software processes used to develop VTK
> & ParaView as well as the huge amount of testing (both test quantity and
> platform coverage) that we do before every single commit in addition to
> nightly. There is a very good overlap between the CMake, CTest & CDash
> communities and the VTK/ParaView development communities and there is
> very good reason behind this.

Slightly off-topic (not fully about ParaView vs VisIt), but I always
wondered about the development process of VTK/ParaView with respect to
bug reports. There seem to be a huge number of reported bugs for
ParaView (and a few for VTK), ranging from crashes to incorrect
functionality to feature requests. Over the years I have entered more
than two dozen myself, but was always surprised about the lack of
response, especially when reporting things that were easily reproducible
and/or crasher bugs (e.g. VTK #10528, ParaView #15291, ParaView #15944,
ParaView #13802).

Now, I understand that what's not working for me might not be important
to others, so, of course, assigning priorty and doing actual fixes for
reports is done by the developer community. A second "handicap" in this
respect is undoubtedly the fact that KitWare is a business and so has
different priorities than a bunch of hackers working mostly in their
spare time on their pet project.

But basically anything reported these days immediately gets status
"backlog" and I would guesstimate getting a response to a report only
about 25% of the time. I report bugs quite often for other open-source
projects (and try to enter concise reports with a testcase), but with
ParaView/VTK I get the feeling it's not worth the trouble, which is a
shame. Actually getting back on topic: the one or two times I reported a
bug in VisIt I got a reply and fix quickly!

Furthermore, ParaView seems quite easy to segfault and it happens even
with moderately complex pipelines and modest datasets. Parallel volume
rendering has been broken for ages (or is it fixed these days? Can't
tell, ParaView #13801 did not get any replies). Some examples shown on
the wiki cause Python errors (e.g. #15291, #12796). And so on.

So the comment above about code quality making ParaView stand out from
other visualization tools is a bit a stretch in my opinion. I would
certainly not call ParaView "stable". In fact, in the introductory
scivis courses we teach with ParaView we always warn people that crashes
are to be expected regularly and even during the course assignments they
sometimes happen.

The development process as mentioned by Berk is indeed impressive, but
seems mostly focused on preventing regressions in existing
functionality. This is a worthy goal in itself, but is only one half of
the story when it comes to guaranteeing code quality. The things that
aren't working (see bug reports) are maybe not getting the attention
they deserve, but are apparently things folks run into when using
ParaView, so they signal something real.

After the stuff above I wanted to finish on a less critical note :) I
prefer using ParaView over VisIt mostly because of being able to build a
pipeline and prefer ParaView's nice single-window GUI over VisIt's
a-window-here-a-window-there-a-window-everywhere approach. They are both
good and useful tools and are work-horses for scivis tasks. Whenever I
get a request from an HPC user which one to use I recommend ParaView, as
it is easier to get into for basic scivis work.

Regards,
Paul

--

Paul Melis
| Visualization group leader & developer | SURFsara |