[Paraview] Visualization of strata in ParaView

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Wed Jun 15 17:15:11 EDT 2016

Welcome to ParaView Steve,

Everybody was a noob when they first tried to use ParaView, but the more
you use ParaView, the smarter it gets.

Now, to your question about displaying a geological stratigraphy in
ParaView, assuming that you have surfaces (of some sort, but preferably
cell boundaries) at the material interfaces and that you have cells
containing a datum item that is a number from a monotone sequence, the
following is a possibility:

(1) Load and display your mesh in ParaView. ("Load and display" is an
overloaded phrase, that is, you need to have a 2-D or 3-D geometric grid
of points and cells that is in a file format that ParaView can read.)

(2) Select the cell-variable "Material-Number" (or whatever name you
supplied with the material data for the cells like MatID, MatNo, ...)
For void or unknown material regions you can have two choices, a real
low number (say, -999) and a real high number (say, 999)

(3) The default color bar will appear along with a panel named Color Map
Editor. Button number #2 allows you to set the lower and upper color
range values you want to use. Below the color map you have the option of
selecting a color for below range data and a color for above-range data.

(4) As a last step, button #6 (a yellow folder icon overlaid with a red
heart) lets you select the color bar you prefer. In your case, go to the
very bottom of the Preset Color Scales where you will find a color scale
named "blot" (The blot color scale is a set of, for want of a better
word, distinct colors.) It is a historic color scale that was widely
used in the early days of 2-D contour plotting where the contour levels
were at the color boundaries.

Historically, if more than 7 contours were used, the color sequence
repeated. I don't know what ParaView will do if you have more than six
distinct geologic layers.

I could easily imagine that you could outgrow the above approach, but
maybe it will help to get you started with ParaView.

Enjoy,

Samuel W. Key
FMA Development, LLC
1005 39th Ave NE