[Paraview] display boundaries of 2D geometry

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 14 09:03:36 EDT 2016

Matthias,

An approach that works well for me is to exploit the "Part" feature in
either the VTK-formats or the EnSight format.

The "Part" construct in the VTK XML-format looks to me to have
originated based on the need to combine for ParaView a set of results
generated from individual CPU's. It can also be used for an assembly of
parts. In my case, material domains are used to define the "Parts." The
PV Extract Block filter displays the user's part names and can be used
to display any combination of "Parts."

Again in my case, it is important to know that point-sets, and element
edge-sets  and face-sets at time(0.0) are properly defined. At
time(0.0), a mesh-by-material, point-sets, edge-sets, and face-sets (aka
side-sets) are generated, all based on the "Part" construct, for the
express purpose of visualizing these in ParaView before a simulation is run.

The key to doing this is to understand that each "Part" needs to be a
complete, standalone, displayable graphics object.

Should you or your staff be interested in exploring this approach, a set
of FORTRAN language routines can be provided.

Samuel W Key
FMA Development, LLC
1005 39th Ave. NE
Great Falls, Montana 59404