[Paraview] Loading xdmf files fails in Paraview

Elliot Kaplan elliot.kaplan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 11:47:06 EDT 2016

I'm trying to use Paraview with xdmf files which I've generated in a python
script (both the xml light data and the hdf5 heavy data). Initially I was
working with Paraview-4.0.1 which I could install from apt and loaded the
data fine. Recently I downloaded Paraview-5.0.1, which fails to load the
xdmf file in a variety of ways. If I try to load the dataset with the Xdmf3
Reader, I get the following error:

    'Content' not found in itemProperties in XdmfArray::populateItem
    Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
    exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt. You must
    reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.

    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'XdmfError'
      what():  'Content' not found in itemProperties in
XdmfArray::populateItem
    Aborted (core dumped)

If I try to load with the Xdmf Reader, Paraview segfaults. I found the same
set of problems with Paraview-4.4.1.

How do I correct the lack of content in the xdmfarry? What does that even
mean? (I don't recall there being a content tag necessary in the xdmf
specification). I can post the xml and hdf5 files if necessary.

I would file a bug, but the bug tracker isn't accepting new users at the
moment.

thanks
-Elliot