[Paraview] Custom Python plugin with multiple input ports

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Jul 14 16:45:19 EDT 2016

Loïc,

Python Programmable Filter can indeed take more than one input. Select
all the inputs in the Pipeline Browser you want to pass to the
Programmable Filter before you create it. Within the script, you can
access the inputs with

input1 = self.GetInputDataObject(0, 0)
input2 = self.GetInputDataObject(0, 1)

print input1
print input2

One big caveat with this - the order of the inputs is somewhat
arbitrary. There is a feature request to make these inputs easier to
order.

http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=15710

Best regards,
Cory

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 1:40 PM, LB <bravo.loic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to make some custom python plugins for ParaView.
>
> I've made one based on a PythonProgrammableFilter with the help of the
> Python Filter Generator Script
> (https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/snippets/5).
>
> It's working pretty well, but it seems that the PythonProgrammableFilter is
> limited to algorithm with only one input port.
> I need to make another plugin which needs two well separated inputs ports.
>
> I've seen that one could use vtkPythonAlgorithm to define a plugin with
> input ports
> (https://blog.kitware.com/vtkpythonalgorithm-is-great/).
>
> Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any documentation to define a plugin
> with the XML syntax based on that vtkPythonAlgorithm.
>
> Could you give some hints ?
>

> Best regards,
>
> --
> Loïc