[Paraview] Horizontal averages

Marie Kajan marie.kajan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 19:47:40 EDT 2016

Hello,

I'm working with data on a spherical mesh and want to create a couple
related outputs in Paraview. Let's say that I want to focus on the
temperature values:

1) I would like to extract the horizontal average of temperature at every
depth (i.e. radius). So, I would like Paraview to look at each depth
resolved by the mesh and calculate the mean temperature over the sphere at
that depth. I can inspect the data for spherical slices but can't figure
out the most elegant way to automate this process and export the data to a
CSV file...

2) I would like to use these values to visualise temperature anomalies.
This should be pretty simple since it just requires subtracting the mean
from each depth. So, if the average temperature at 1000km depth were 1600,
then 1600 would be subtracted at each temperature at 1000km depth... and so
on throughout the whole sphere.

Here is a sample *.vtu file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aart4ivqr33h1ew/solution-00000.0000.vtu?dl=0

Thanks!