[Paraview] Invisible volume rendering in client/server mode

Gunnar Jansen jansen.gunnar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 03:28:16 EDT 2016

Dear ParaView users,

I recently set up a pvserver on our small cluster. I used the most recent
stable ParaView release 5.1 and compiled from source.

The connection and rendering in client/server mode works fine in all
representations except the "Volume" rendering. Here, depending on the
model, either no model is shown at all (just the standard 3D render
screen), or the previous representation with artifacts shows up. This seems
to be a problem of the --use-offscreen-rendering flag that I use in the
pvserver startup.

I run the server on a node with 2 CPU (with 10 cores each) and 2 Nvidia
Tesla K40c. I start the server with:

xinit /usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.6.5/bin/mpirun -np 4 pvserver -display :0.0
--use-offscreen-rendering   : -np 4 pvserver -display :0.1
--use-offscreen-rendering

In the client the threshold for remote rendering is set to 0.

If I pass additionally the -tdx=1 and -tdy=1 flags the volume rendering is
performed correctly, but the overall speed is decreased greatly.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Gunnar