[Paraview] Time Series of 3D scans in Paraview

Ryan McKeown ryanrmck at mac.com
Wed Jul 6 17:41:16 EDT 2016

Hi there,

	I’m new to Paraview, and I was hoping that I could get some advice for my research. I have data from a flow visualization that consists of scanning a laser sheet over a dyed flow and imaging the sheet head-on with a high-speed camera, resulting in a tomographic scan of the flow. Each scan consists of 25 image slices (the z-coordinate and order of each slice is known). I have many volumetric scans (~900) each consisting of 25 image slices that are TIFF image files (~1.3 KB each). The intensity of each image corresponds to the presence/absence of dye in the flow in order to observe flow structures.

	I would like to combine the images from each scan into a volume and then be able to create a time series of the consecutive volumes, essentially making a “4D” video from my data. In the future, I would like to implement a fast-marching algorithm to segment out various structures and play around with particle tracking, but for now, I just want to create a 4D visualization of my data.

1.) Is this possible to do in Paraview, and if so, how? If not, do you know of any other software (preferably open-source) that can perform this task?
2.) Is Paraview capable of handing such a large overall file without grinding to a crawl?
3.) Is it possible to automate the import of my data perhaps through Python?

I greatly appreciate any advice that people can offer me.

Thanks so much,

-Ryan