[Paraview] Use of Python declared variables inside new scripts from ProgrammableSource and/or ProgrammableFilter.

Guillaume Jacquenot guillaume.jacquenot at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 11:00:14 EST 2016

I have understood why my solution did not work.
My goal is to access user defined data from a ProgrammableFilter
I know my solution is not recommended,but it works, and I could not figure
other solutions

I have used the RequestInformationScript as a constructor to initiate my
additional variables:
My bug was appening, since I did not know that this script may be called
several times. The first time the additional members were correctly
evaluated. But my additional members became all mixed up the second time
So I added a test to see if my additional members were already created.

Below is an example that shows how to add member to a ProgrammableFilter

from paraview.simple import Sphere
from paraview.simple import ProgrammableFilter
from paraview.simple import UpdatePipeline
sphere = Sphere()
p = ProgrammableFilter(Input=sphere)
p.Script = 'print(self.x)'
p.RequestInformationScript = 'if "x" not in dir(self):\n   self.x=12'
UpdatePipeline()

However this solution does not work for ProgrammableSource
from paraview.simple import ProgrammableSource
p=ProgrammableSource()
p.Script = 'print(self.x)'
p.RequestInformationScript = 'if "x" not in dir(self):\n   self.x=12'
UpdatePipeline()

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<console>", line 1, in <module>

File "C:\Program Files\ParaView
4.4.0\lib\paraview-4.4\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 302,
in __setattr__

"to add this attribute.")

AttributeError: Attribute RequestInformationScript does not exist. This
class does not allow addition of new attributes to avoid mistakes due to
typos. Use add_attribute() if you really want to add this attribute.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 19, in <module>

File "<string>", line 2, in RequestData

AttributeError: 'vtkPVClientServerCoreCorePython.vtkPythonProgramma' object
has no attribute 'x'

If I do
from paraview.simple import ProgrammableSource
p=ProgrammableSource()
p.add_attribute('x',666)

I could not find how to use x in my script