[Paraview] ParaView 5.0.0 for Windows x64 fails to open EnSight Gold files

Andrew antech777 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 03:04:36 EST 2016

Another "experimental data". I was able to load this big case in ParaView
viat the CGNS format. It was neccesary to select CGNS 3.0 and HDF5 options
in CFX Converter. But when I apply the Extract Block filter I see no any
boundaries, only fluid domain (that is displayed OK). So CGNS format is not
a wayout...

> I performed another test with *EnSight 6* (not Gold) format. Conversion
> was made on Win-7 x64 machine. The same results: PV 4.3 crashed, PV 5.0
> "cannot stat" (full error message is in my first post on this topic).
> Sorry, now I need to work on with my report...

>> Hello. Sorry for silence, I'm usually offline on holydays, although I
>> have internet connection and read your mail.
>>
>> Samuel Key
>>
>> Thanks for your attention.
>>
>> About transferring files from Linux to Windows. I use binary EnSight
>> files because CFX converter fails to write so large files in ASCII format.
>> But I tried to convert from CFX to EnSight (binary) on the same Win-7 x64
>> machine with ParaView. Both installed versions (4.3 and 5.0) failed to open
>> the geometry (I unchecked all fields). ParaView 4.3 crashed, ParaView 5.0
>> just cannot open file...
>>
>> I think that the root cause may be a geometry file size. It is 4.9 GiB
>> (5.3 GB), mesh have about 150 millions of cells, not 600 thusands like in
>> your case. Its possible that ParaView for Windows cannot process so large
>> EnSight files, although the Linux version reads in this geometry and
>> displays outline (swapping is so intensive so I cannot displaye something
>> else).

>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> For what it is worth, I use ParaView
>>> (ParaView-5.0.0-Qt4-OpenGL2-Windows-64bit) on Windows-7 64bit. I just now
>>> tested two medium-sized, EnSight Gold-formatted simulation results files
>>> (600,000 finite elements) and both worked.
>>>
>>> In the past, I have had difficulty with the EnSight ASCII-formatted
>>> *.case file when moving the simulation results (*.case file and friends)
>>> from MS Windows to EnSight running on a linux platform. It was necessary to
>>> pass the ASCII *.case file through a 'dos2unix' filter. Transferring files
>>> the other way might have the same problem???
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Samuel Key
>>> FMA Development, LLC
>>> 1005 39th Ave NE
>>> Great Falls, Montana 59404
>>> USA
>>>
>>> On 2/25/2016 11:26 PM, Andrew wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello. We use Ansys CFX in our work but the standard post-processor
>>> CFD-Post consumes one of Ansys licenses while Paraview is free. So I often
>>> make pictures for reports with ParaView to preserve Ansys license for
>>> another users/needs (because other users are not familiar with ParaView and
>>> CFD-Post may consume general "acfd" license feature that may be used for
>>> calculations). I convert CFX results to EnSight Gold format in CFX Solver
>>> Manager (Export Results) and then open in ParaView. It was working well on
>>> Linux (CentOS 6.7 x64, Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with updates) but now I work with
>>> large files and I need to use another machine that has 128 GB of RAM and
>>> runs Windows-7 x64.
>>> I downloaded and installed the following version:
>>> ParaView-5.0.0-Qt4-OpenGL2-Windows-64bit.exe
>>> When I open my EnSight-format file I receive the error message that
>>> geometry file cannot be read. I tried to move EnSight files to a simple
>>> location (D:\Temp) and renamed them (test.case, test.geom + edited the case
>>> to change geometry file name to "simple" one). The same result, it cannot
>>> find geometry file... Full error message is as follows:
>>>
>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
>>> line 114
>>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000000009451230): stat failed.
>>>

>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
>>> line 220
>>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000000009451230): Unable to open file:
>>> D:\Storage\Media\Work\Gradirni\CFX\EnSight\C-G002L3S-R020-S000-14.5\/C-G002L3S-R020-S000.geom
>>>

>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightReader.cxx, line
>>> 306
>>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000000009451230): error reading geometry
>>> file
>>>

>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx,
>>> line 784
>>> vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0000000008E1A640): Algorithm
>>> vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader(0000000009451230) returned failure for request: