[Paraview] Question about probe point data

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Feb 12 12:40:21 EST 2016

The "Probe Location" and the "Resample With Dataset" filters actually use the same code underneath the covers. The only difference is how the geometry source is inputted (internally generated points for "Probe Location" and another dataset for "Resample With Dataset"). Also "Probe Location" is marked to by default show the results in a table view. However, you can show the results of "Probe Location" in a 3D view as well. Just select the 3D view and turn on its visibility.

Anyway, the point of all that is that it should be unnecessary for you to run the "Resample With Dataset" filter. You should get the same data from the output of the "Probe Locations" filter.

If all the field data in the output from "Probe Locations" are zero, then there is some reason why the filter could not find field data at the selected points. Once common problem is that the points are not actually located within the volume of your data. If your input data is actually a surface, then this is likely as it is hard to place points exactly on the surface. Another cause for problems that recently came up on the mailing list is issues with using an unstructured grid dataset that has voxel-type cells in it. The thread is captured here: http://markmail.org/message/t5vbs7opn43wtkdw.

-Ken