[Paraview] ParaView 5.0.0 with Catalyst: OpenGL2 backend in server, not in client

Alexandre Ancel alexandre.ancel at cemosis.fr
Fri Feb 12 12:23:11 EST 2016

Hello,

A word about the context: I am working on a library that uses Catalyst to
do Live visualization with ParaView. In this library, I just create a proxy
to a PVTrivialProducer and then set its output to send the data
(vtkUnstructuredGrid) to ParaView. This part is working very well.

I built the 5.0.0 version of ParaView on our data server with the OpenGL2
backend enabled, but when I built the 5.0.0 version of ParaView on my
client with OS X (I needed the developement headers), I noticed that I
forgot to add the option to enable the new OpenGL backend:
-DVTK_RENDERING_BACKEND=OpenGL2. So I ended up having version 1.4 for
OpenGL in this version.

When I tried to use our application with Catalyst, everything worked fine,
until I wanted to visualize the data extract from the proxy in the ParaView
interface.
ParaView then crashed with the following error:
"
ERROR: In
/tmp/ParaView-v5.0.0-source/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxy.cxx,
line 310
vtkSISourceProxy (0x4aefb50): Failed to create
vtkPointGaussianRepresentation. Aborting for debugging purposes.

Aborted
"

Looking at the proxy definition in
ParaViewCore/ServerManager/SMApplication/Resources/, I see that there is a
proxy for vtkPointGaussianRepresentation in proxies_opengl2.xml, but not in
proxies_opengl1.xml.

Am I getting an expected behavior here due to the option I forgot ?

Note that I also have the standard pre-packaged version of ParaView (with
the OpenGL2 backend and OpenGL v4.1) installed on OS X and I don't get the
previous issue and everything is ok.

In summary and with version 5.0.0 for everything:
ParaView (No OpenGL2) -> pvserver (OpenGL2) : causes a crash
ParaView (OpenGL2) -> pvserver (OpenGL2) : is OK

What do you think about checking the version of the OpenGL backend when
connecting to a pv*server and see if they match ?
And possibly display a message similar to the one displayed, when ParaView
connects to a different version of pvserver (e.g. when a client in 4.4.0 to
a server in 5.0.0)

Best regards,
Alexandre Ancel

--
Alexandre Ancel
Docteur, Ingénieur de recherche / Phd, Research Engineer
Cemosis <http://www.cemosis.fr> - alexandre.ancel at cemosis.fr
Tel: +33 (0)3 68 8*5 02 06*
IRMA - 7, rue René Descartes
67 000 Strasbourg, France