[Paraview] Plot on sorted lines with Cell Array

Christophe Bourcier christophe.bourcier.pv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 06:00:51 EST 2016

Dear Paraview users,

I want to plot a field on cells with the same discretization as my
mesh. So I don't use Plot over line, but Plot on sorted lines with 2
slices to get the polyline to plot data on.

It works well with a field on nodes, but I can't get a result with a
field on cell. Of course if I use Cell data point data, I get a plot,
but with mean values on the nodes.

In Plot on sorted lines properties, if I choose Attribute type Cell
data, I can't see my field on cells in the list of available fields.

To reproduce the issue:
- download the dataset (802K) : http://bourcier.eu/secteur.tgz
- open it
- display the field U2
- apply a slice in Z normal
- apply a slice in Y normal
- apply Plot on sorted lines
- change Attribute type to Cell data: the field U2 is not available.
- apply the filter Cell data to point data (with Pass Cell Data
ticked) before Plot on sorted lines
- in Point Data, U2 is available, but the resulting plot has mean
values on nodes between cells that have not the same value on the left
and on the right. Zoom at the right end of the line to see it.
- in Cell Data, U2 is now also available, but nothing is displayed. I
would have expected to see a stairstep graph.

Have you an idea on how to get this?

Thank you.

Christophe