[Paraview] Building a stress tensor to compute eigenvalues and eigenvectors

Rémy Mercenier remy.mercenier at geo.uzh.ch
Tue Feb 9 11:12:26 EST 2016

Hello,

I would like to compute the eigenvalues/eigenvectors of a stress tensor using either the python calculator or the tensor glyph filter. However, as far as i understand, i need to have 3D matrices to use these filters but when reading my exodusII file in paraview, i get each stress component as a single variable. Would there be a way to group these variables into a 3D tensor within paraview?

Also, i renamed the stress components to have sxx, sxy, sxz, syx, syy, syz, szx, szy, szz notations but this gave me 3 vectors sx, sy and sz when i opened the exodusII file in paraview instead of one vector s containing all the stress components.

Thank you for your help,
Rémy Mercenier
PhD student