[Paraview] ParaView 5.2.0 client/server connection problem

张驭洲 yzhzhang at ipe.ac.cn
Wed Dec 28 06:55:13 EST 2016

Hi Chuck, I'm happy you are willing to help me with the problem of ParaView 5.2.0.

Firstly, the operation system on my rendering server is CentOS 6.3 and on my PC it's CentOS 6.8. I think I have built the ParaView 5.2.0 successfully from the source package, because during the processes of configure with CMake and the following make, there was no error. Then I start the pvserver on the rendering server:

[root at V18 bin]# ./pvserver

Waiting for client...

Connection URL: cs://V18:11111

Accepting connection(s): V18:11111

Then I connect to the server with the paraview client GUI on my PC, which is also 5.2.0. It seems that the connection is completed, but actually I get output messages from the GUI immediately like this:

And the command line reads:

ERROR: In /home/buildslave/dashboards/buildbot/paraview-pvbinsdash-linux-shared-release_opengl2_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx, line 572
vtkClientSocket (0x1c9aa20): Socket error in call to send. Broken pipe.

And this message repeats for dozens of times. Actually they are the same of the output messages on the GUI. Then, 5 or so seconds later, antoher dialog popped up :

For clicking No or Yes, the GUI shutdown or save a file that records the state of ParaView and then shutdown, respectively.

On the command line of the server, it reads:

Client connected.

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext

    Major opcode of failed request:  135 (GLX)

    Minor opcode of failed request:  5  (X_GLXMakeCurrent)

    Serial number of failed request:  28

I googled the error messages above and got many answers indicating that it's a problem about OpenGL. Actually I indeed got confused when I configured ParaView with Cmake.The options of VTK_RENDER_BACKEND:STRING are OpenGL,OpenGL2 and None. I don't no what's the difference between the first two options but the OpenGL version on my server is 4.4.0 and on my PC it's 4.5.0. There are GPUs on both the server and my PC so I didn't use OSMesa.  I have tried both OpenGL and OpenGL2 for that variable, but got the same error finally.

Oddly, the ParaView 4.4.0 works perfectly on the same machine after the same process of configure and make. What the difference is, when I start the 5.2.0 paraview GUI from command line, there are lots of warnings like this:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 39: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 56: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected

but when I start the 4.4.0 GUI from command line, there is nothing wrong.

These are all the messages I can get about my problem. I'm not sure whether they are the actual error youmentioned in your last email. Hope they can give you enough information about my problem and you could help me solve it. Thank you!

Sincerely

-Zhang