[Paraview] Thanks for your help!

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Tue Dec 27 10:20:45 EST 2016

> Thank you Chuck and I appreciate your detailed reply very much!

You welcome :-)

I have to say that I'm a rookie in the field of parallel computing and
> visualization.

The only way to gain knowledge and experience is by doing.  It will pass
and you'll get more comfortable with the various techniques the more you
use it over time.

In my case, the dataset consists only of random numbers and it's in a
> single partition. I will try to generate a dataset in parallel in a few
> days and render it as you told me.

5M point's is actually a pretty small dataset that should be easy to handle
from a rendering standpoint, i.e. youshould be fine handling it on a single
node.  Most of your time is likely spent in I/O and data conversion rather
than rendering.  How are you getting your data into ParaView, i.e. what
file format are you using?  There is likely a better way that my address
most of the performance issues you are having and remove the need for
parallel rendering entirely.

> Actually, my ultimate task is using ParaView Catalyst to implement in situ
> visualization of a simulation that generates large datasets, but I'm still
> in the very beginning stage of learning the Catalyst User's Guide.

If that's the case then you won't have the IO time with Catalyst that youre
seeing with the ParaView application as the data will end up getting passed
directly in memory.

I know there are two GPUs in my rendering server but I'm not sure whether
> they work for the rendering because they are NVIDIA TESLA C2050, which is
> designed for scientific computing.

The C2050s should support the fuill OpenGL stack and they will certainly
give you better performance than the CPU based rendering.  Which driver
version are you using (check with the nvidia-smi command)?  If it's new
enough, you may be able to use EGL which would be ideal.

I've tried many times to build ParaView 5.2.0 on my server, but finally I
> failed to get it to work. It seems that it has been built successfully but
> whenever I connect to it from the 5.2.0 paraview GUI on my desktop, it
> crashes, and on the server

This is a seperate issue and I'd be happy to help you get 5.2 up in
running.  If you'd still like to pursue it, please start a new thread by
posting a message with the actual error you're getting.

- Chuck