[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Time Synchronization for Case and Geometry Sequences

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Dec 1 19:40:51 EST 2016

I may have told you the wrong parameters. Try using 0.005 for the temporal shift rather than -0.005.

-Ken

On 12/1/16, 3:10 PM, "Huangrui Mo" <huangrui.mo at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

    Hello Ken,

    Thank you for the provided solution, however, it seems like the solution
    does not work well: using the Paraview 5.2.0
    (I just downloaded the latest version, and realizing that there is a
    modification on showing the max counter of time steps),
    after applying the method you provided, it artificially works for the
    first 9 counts, but when you input "10", then you would realize that
    the mismatch is still there :D

    I have found the following weired situation:

    1) The time values in field.case, field.pvd, geo_stl.pvd are all exactly
    the same and are all in ASCII format.
    2) When paraview read in the field.pvd or geo_stl.pvd, it will change
    the floating point values slightly, however, it maintains consistence
    if they are ".pvd" files. Therefore, it correctly synchronizes these two
    data sets.
    3) When paraview read in the field.case, the floating point
    representation of the time values are changed slightly and are not
    consistently with ".pvd" files.
    However, in this mixed case, the "0" value is the same, so paraview
    merges field.case and geo_stl.pvd for time "0", and reduces the total
    number of cases
    from 11 + 11 to 21. (sorry for previous miscalculation of the counter,
    it's 11 rather than 10 for each data set.)

    Is it because when reading Ensight format, paraview choose single
    precision, but using double  precision for .pvd file? Is there a way to
    fix this problem, since
    the time values are all in ASCII format.

    Thanks,
    Huangrui

    E-mail: huangrui.mo at uwaterloo.ca