[Paraview] associating table data with a Paraview source?

Hart, Cynthia Joyce - (cyndyb) cyndyb at email.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 24 18:41:58 EDT 2016

Hi folks, An ignorant question.  I know Paraview is great for visualizing existing complex data sets, but I have a simple problem wherein I need to create a dataset, and I would like to solve this problem using Paraview, but I am unsure how to do so.

In brief, I have been given point data of radiance values of 3 sensors placed in specific locations around a mesh.  I have no 3D object provided that represents the sensors, no 3d volume; just a spreadsheet of values of sensor readings over time.  For illustrative purposes, it is desired to visualize the sensors as radiant spheres, and animate how the 3 sensor values change over time, by showing the sensor spheres varying in color.

It seems the way to go about this, is create source spheres in Paraview, at the proper locations around the mesh object.  This part is easy!  What is not clear to me, is if there is a way – and if so, what is it – to associate my data tables of changing sensor values with the Paraview sphere sources.  Once I import the csv spreadsheet, how can I associate it with an object already in Paraview?   Can someone kindly point me in the right direction, or tell me this cannot be done.  Thank you!

Cynthia