[Paraview] 5.1.2/OpenGL2 issue

Angelini, Richard C (Rick) CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) richard.c.angelini.civ at mail.mil
Tue Aug 23 14:56:34 EDT 2016

We are trying to build/run ParaView 5.1.2 on a particular HPC system with
graphics nodes via TurboVNC.     ParaView 5.0.1 build/runs fine in this
configuration.    ParaView 5.1.2 compiles fine (using identical build
configuration used to build 5.0.1) - however the GUI fails at execution.
I’m not sure how to debug it any further.     It *appears* that 5.1.2 is
maybe doing some additional environment querying that might be causing this
failure?

When I try to run 5.1.2, I get this error:

g01 > paraview
[VGL] WARNING: The OpenGL rendering context obtained on X display
[VGL]    :0.0 is indirect, which may cause performance to suffer.
[VGL]    If :0.0 is a local X display, then the framebuffer device
[VGL]    permissions may be set incorrectly.
Segmentation fault

The particular message about indirect rendering – if I run glxinfo,   direct
rendering is set to YES.

g01 > glxinfo
name of display: :5.0
display: :5  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: VirtualGL
server glx version string: 1.4
[deleted stuff]
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: Tesla K40m/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 340.93

Rick Angelini
USArmy Research Laboratory
CISD/HPC Architectures Team
Phone:  410-278-6266