[Paraview] Catalyst example on dynamic producer setup

Luigi Calori l.calori at cineca.it
Fri Aug 19 07:27:46 EDT 2016

Thanks, we have tried to follow your previous suggestion but were not
able to find a place in python where to set the information regarding
which fields to add.

Any example of passing info from python to c++ or fortran adaptors would
be of great value for us.

Your other suggestion for Pass Arrays filter requires that we use VTK's
zero-copy.

according to
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/tree/master/Examples/Catalyst/Readme

there seems two ways of re-using simulation memory:
CxxMappedDataArrayExample and
CxxSOADataArrayExample

Which one is better?

Thanks in advance

Luigi

On 18/08/2016 14:52, Andy Bauer wrote:
> I'll see if I can find an example online. In the meantime, another
> option would be to pass in all arrays and then use the Pass Arrays
> filter to select the ones you want. If you're using VTK's zero-copy
> functionality for the vtkDataArrays this should be a very efficient
> way to do what you want.
>
> Best,
> Andy
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 4:33 AM, Luigi Calori <l.calori at cineca.it
> <mailto:l.calori at cineca.it>> wrote:
>
>     Thank's for the prompt replay, we do not mind custom code the
>     scripts, It would be good to have usage code examples
>     or pointers to open source projects that are using Catalyst in
>     such a way.
>
>     Any hints will be really appreciated.
>
>     Best regards
>     Luigi
>

>     On 18/08/2016 03:23, Andy Bauer wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     This is possible but at this point requires custom coding the
>>     Python script to specify which fields are needed. This should be
>>     done during the RequestDataDescription() call. You can use
>>     vtkCPInputDataDescription's IsFieldNeeded() and
>>     IsFieldPointData() methods to specify what's needed in the Python
>>     script and then create the requested VTK data arrays in the
>>     adaptor after that. There are plans to allow the GUI script
>>     generation to specify which data arrays are needed but no
>>     concrete date (likely over a year unless there's significant
>>     support for the development effort) for when that functionality
>>     will be available.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Andy
>>
>>     On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Luigi Calori <l.calori at cineca.it
>>     <mailto:l.calori at cineca.it>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi everybody: we are starting instrumenting one Fortran
>>         simulation code with Paraview catalyst.
>>         We have started from the fortran full example as our grid is
>>         basically a 3d rectilinear grid that we are currently
>>         handling like imagedata.
>>         Our code has a quite high number of scalar fields ( 50 ) and
>>         a single velocity field.
>>         If we use a single input and a single data producer with all
>>         the field inside, the Paraview client slows down, probably
>>         due to memory usage or transfer.
>>         For visualization we would just need the vector field and one
>>         or two of the scalar fields.
>>         It would really good to be able to dinamically ( possibly
>>         each time step) being able to select which of the available
>>         scalar variable pass as scalar field.
>>         In the examples the c++ adaptor code add fields in a fixed
>>         way. We would like to pass information from python ( and
>>         maybe from Paraview GUI ) to the adaptor code to dynamically
>>         change it's behaviour.
>>
>>         Is it at all possible? any hints or better example code.
>>
>>         Sorry if dumb question, I' m a newbie in this
>>
>>         Thanks in advance.
>>
>>         --
>>         Luigi Calori
> [...]

Tel: +39 051 6171509  Fax: +39 051 6132198
hpc.cineca.it