[Paraview] Private pipeline

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Aug 15 11:52:55 EDT 2016

Wow! Thousands of objects in your pipeline browser? You must have some scripts to generate all those objects (or spend hours each time setting up your pipelines).

There is no way in to get the pipeline browser to group sections of the pipeline or show subsections of it. It is conceivable to create your own version of a pipeline browser that showed subsets of the pipeline like you want and put that in your own plugin, but it would be a fairly difficult programming project.

You might consider simpler alternatives. Rather than create thousands of objects in your pipeline browser, perhaps you can create custom filters that encapsulate (and hide) lots of filters inside it. Implementing filters in VTK/ParaView using several other filters internally is pretty common. It is much easier to create a plugin with a custom filter than to make a plugin with a custom pipeline browser. You could also consider using the Custom Filter feature (http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Custom_Filters). It allows you to create a metafilter from a collection of other filters in the ParaView GUI. It is easier than making a plugin, but has more limited functionality.

-Ken