[Paraview] custom filter doesn't update property in the Paraview UI

corinna reuter corinnareuter75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 10:55:34 EDT 2016

Dear Cory, dear all,
sorry for not getting back to this topic earlier. Your solution works
perfectly for the described problem. When I create e.g. a SphereSource and
attach the TestProperty filter with its NPoints property, this property is
initialized with the correct number of points in the sphere.

However, I have another requirement which is that the property should also
be updated, when the input changes. I thought the same mechanism for
initializing the property would also take care of updating the property
upon modified input.

If I modify the SphereSource from above by changing the ThetaResolution or
PhiResolution, then vtkTestProperty::RequestInformation is called as
expected, and the included print statements show the new number of points,
but the NPoints property won't reflect this new value. Do you know of
another short trick, how to fix this? You mentioned that you found the need
for a domain element in the ParaView source code. Where exactly? If I
understand what prevented the property initialization, I might be able to
find out what prevents the update.

The complete filter sources, updated to include your corrections, are
attached.

Thank you
Corinna