[Paraview] Profiling Paraview

Gerstenberger, Axel Axel.Gerstenberger at Rolls-Royce.com
Tue Aug 2 02:58:12 EDT 2016

Hi Chris,

I am using valgrind & callgrind and visualize with kcachegrind and use the RelWithDebInfo for cmake as a compromise for speed of execution and useful output.

I have a bash script valgrind_callgrind in my PATH with:
#!/bin/bash
valgrind -v --numcallers=50 --trace-children=yes --tool=callgrind --collect-jumps=yes --dump-instr=yes --dump-line=yes --collect-systime=yes “$@”
and call that like
valgrind_callgrind ./paraview  or valgrind_callgrind script.py.

You’ll get several callgrind.out.xxxxx for each process started. You can also profile Paraview python code and parallel runs, if you start pvserver with above command. kcachegrind is then used to look at each of these files.

Callgrind execution is quite slow, but it helped me a lot.

Cheers,
Axel

From: ParaView [mailto:paraview-bounces at paraview.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Neal
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 6:19 PM
To: paraview at paraview.org
Subject: [Paraview] Profiling Paraview

Hello,

For several months now I have had a serious issue with a Paraview Python script causing an enormous slowdown in the performance of Paraview as it executes. I have tried the old-fashioned method of peppering timing statements everywhere in the python script, but it is very tedious and hasn’t led me to the source of the issue. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to run a Paraview python script through a more advanced software profiler i.e. has anyone profiled the performance of Paraview as it executes a python script? And if so, what tools did you use?

Thank you,
Chris Neal
Rolls-Royce Deutschland Ltd & Co KG Sitz/Registered Office: Blankenfelde-Mahlow, Deutschland, Registergericht/Court of Register: Amtsgericht Potsdam, HRA 2731 P, Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin/General Partner: Rolls-Royce General Partner Limited, Sitz/Registered Office: Derby, United Kingdom, Register: Registry of Companies Wales and England, 4066556, Directors/Geschäftsführer: Paul O’Neil, Alastair McIntosh, Nicole Fehr, Dr. Holger Cartsburg Confidentiality Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other person.
The data contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information. If you have received it in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and contact +44 (0) 3301235850 (Security Operations Centre) if you need assistance. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.

An e-mail response to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.

(c) 2016 Rolls-Royce plc

Registered office: 62 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6AT Company number: 1003142. Registered in England.