[Paraview] peak memory use on remote nodes

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Apr 21 06:29:51 EDT 2016

Dave

So it turns out that aprun/alps won’t let me run a script with dstat to monitor the memory use, and using craypat makes the execution take too long (weeks it seems). So I tried importing part of the dstat python into my paraview python

Using this I am able to query memory use on the node and dump it out.

Question :  If I start a background python thread that polls memory like this

#####################
# start a thread that prints mem use
#####################
def dump_memory():
    # do something here ...
    global stop_thread
    line = ''
    for o in stats:
        o.extract()
        line = line + '  ' + o.show()
    print line + dstat.ansi['reset']

    # call f() again in n seconds
    if stop_thread==0:
      threading.Timer(0.5, dump_memory).start()

and set it going at the start of my paraview python pipeline : Will it actually run and collect info whilst the paraview script is executing the rest of the pipeline.

intuition and brief googling tells me that this won’t work.

Can it be done?

JB