[Paraview] Parallel Unstructured Format Recommendations

Sean.Ziegeler at engilitycorp.com Sean.Ziegeler at engilitycorp.com
Wed Apr 20 13:13:01 EDT 2016

ParaView has improved its readers a lot lately, so I'd love some guidance on which are the best options these days.  I need something that is rather scalable, especially for the simulation.  Our group had initially arrived at XDMF, but the documentation seems to suggest that it doesn't use Parallel HDF5 (that one must use collections of serial HDF5 files instead).  Maybe that is dated?  CGNS seems to support Parallel HDF5 on the sim side; does the PV reader support reading it in parallel?  I'm leaning toward Parallel HDF5 as the underlying container, but I'd consider other alternatives if they are scalable and reasonably portable.

Thanks!
Sean