[Paraview] Guide to installing paraview for offscreen rendering

Ishan Tembhekar ishan.tembhekar at caltech.edu
Wed Sep 23 17:27:26 EDT 2015

Hi,

I have been using Paraview (directly run from binary) on my Mac for 2 years
now and have used its python shell effectively to render images and save
them by using scripts.

But the current method involves on-screen rendering and I am currently
limited by the size of my simulations. (Paraview starts hanging when I try
and render over a million spheres)

I have access to a cluster (Red Hat 6) where I can use MPI. I have looked
at a lot of forums where there are discussions about offscreen rendering
using Mesa.

What I would love to do: Build paraview such that I can submit my python
scripts on the cluster as jobs and have Paraview work on my vtp files in
parallel and render images offscreen.

If this is possible, can someone guide me as to how I can do that? The
paraview wiki pages are slightly complicated for me and I am new to
building libraries using the terminal.

Thanks a lot !

-Ishan