[Paraview] Running programmabile filter on ipython parallel environment

livia.barazzetti at istb.unibe.ch livia.barazzetti at istb.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 22 14:21:19 EDT 2015

Hi,
I am trying  paraview on ipython parallel but I am having some problems with the ProgrammableFilter and ProgrammableSource. I have attached a simple example .
I am running  ipython 3.2.1  on windows (but I had the same problem with ipython 4.0 on RHEL) and paraview4.3.1. I am using  the ipython cluster as described in http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/parallel/parallel_intro.html#getting-started and http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/parallel/magics.html#engines-as-kernels (in the attached example only 1 engine running locally)

When I call UpdatePipeline on the engine I get:
Traceback (most recent call last)<string> in <module>()
ImportError: __import__ not found

I guess it's something similar to http://stackoverflow.com/a/3949812 , as if the script of the programmable source is run by "eval" and the builtins are not imported. But I don't understand why the behaviour is different, since it runs correctly in the local shell. I've also tried interactive debugging but I am not getting to the frame where the exception occur. Do you have any suggestion?
Thank you
Livia

Livia Barazzetti
Ph.D. Student - Medical Image Analysis
Institute for Surgical Technology and Biomechanics
University of Bern
Stauffacherstrasse 78
CH-3014 Bern
Tel +41 31 631 59 48