[Paraview] (no subject)

Mathew Guilfoyle mrguilfoyle at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 09:40:39 EDT 2015

I would be grateful for some advice on volume and surface rendering in Paraview.

I am trying to generate 3D skull models from CT data.  The reason for using Paraview is to take advantage of the detailed fly-through/movie capability.  I can generate an acceptable 3D model that I can interact with in OsiriX and 3D Slicer, both of which I believe use VTK.  However, in Paraview I am struggling to create a 3D model that looks any good.

When I apply a threshold filter and view as a ‘Surface’ the image is a lot more ‘blocky’ than in the other two applications.  The image is dominated by the artifactual lines due to the original data being acquired as axial slices; whereas in OsiriX and 3D Slicer this gets smoothed out and the ‘genuine’ surface skull features (sutures etc) stand out.

I realise this is probably question of apply the correct series of filters and that the other two apps do this ‘under the hood’.  However, i have tried to apply Decimation and Smooth to the extracted surface and am not making any headway.

Any pointers would be very welcome