[Paraview] Plot Cell ID over time

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Sep 18 10:51:49 EDT 2015

Macro,

I'm not entirely sure what you are expecting to happen when you select a
column and as ParaView to plot it over time. ParaView will take statistics
over the id values and give you a quartile plot on that. I don't think
that is what you want. From the earlier part of your email, it sounds like
you really want to plot the number of cells over time. To do that, you
first need to compute the cell count into some sort of data structure.
Unfortunately there is no direct way to do this, but I found an old email
thread
(http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2008-November/010080.html)
that describes how to leverage the histogram filter to do it. Here are
some updated instructions for ParaView 4.4.

1. Run your data through the Histogram filter. Set "Bin Count" to 1. Make
"Select Input Array" point to a cell variable. Apply. The result should be
a histogram with exactly one bin.

2. View the data in the Spreadsheet view. Close all the views and then
select "Spreadsheet View" in the resulting empty view. Make sure the
Histogram filter is visible in the spreadsheet view. There should be a
single row. Select that row so that it is highlighted. (Note, this is only
necessary because issue 14978 is not implemented yet.
http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=14978)

3. Add the Plot Selection Over Time filter. Apply.

-Ken