[Paraview] Volume Rendering 17GB 8.5 billion cell volume

Niklas Röber roeber at dkrz.de
Mon Sep 14 11:28:22 EDT 2015

Hey,

did you find a solution for this? I have a little smaller data set of
just around 3.4 billion cells in a 3D unstructured grid volume, climate
simulation data. It reads and displays the 2D slices (22 million cells
each) fine and quiet fast, but if I want to load all 150 slices, I get
this error message:

ERROR: In
/tmp/xas/build/paraview_paraview_4.3.1_default_gcc48/src/ParaView/VTK/Common/Core/vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx,
line 308
vtkIdTypeArray (0x3cecaf0): Unable to allocate 33587986431 elements of
size 8 bytes.

ParaView consumes around 2/3 of the systems memory by this time.

Cheers,
Niklas