[Paraview] Volume Rendering 17GB 8.5 billion cell volume

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Sep 10 10:34:50 EDT 2015

Dave,

This is pretty awesome stuff. Berk already asked some relevant questions.
My thought is that if its a texture memory limitation, then scaling should
have helped. How many nodes did you try when using full size dataset?

- Aashish

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com>
wrote:

> This is pretty awesome. I am assuming that this has something to do with
> things not fitting on the GPU memory or exceeding some texture memory
> limitation. Can you provide some more details?
>
> * Which version of ParaView are you using?
> * It sounds like you have multiple GPUs and multiple nodes. What is the
> setup? Are you running in parallel with MPI?
> * If you are running parallel with MPI and you have multiple GPUs per
> node, did you setup the DISPLAYs to leverage the GPUs?
>
> Best,
> -berk
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 5:00 PM, David Trudgian <
> david.trudgian at utsouthwestern.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have been experimenting with using Paraview to display very volumes
>> from very
>> large TIFF stacks generated by whole-brain microscopy equipment. The test
>> stack
>> has dimensions of 5,368x10,695x150. Stack is assembled in ImageJ from
>> individual
>> TIFFs, exported as a RAW and loaded into paraview. Saved as a .vti for
>> convenience. Can view slices fine in standalone paraview client on a
>> 256GB machine.
>>
>> When we attempt volume rendering on this data across multiple nodes with
>> MPI
>> nothing appears in the client. Surface view works as expected. On
>> switching to
>> volume rendering the client's display will show nothing. There are no
>> messages
>> from the client or servers - no output.
>>
>> This is happening when running pvserver across GPU nodes with NVIDIA Tesla
>> cards, or using CPU only with OSMESA. pvserver memory usage is well below
>> what
>> we have on the nodes - no memory warnings/errors.
>>
>> Data is about 17GB, 8 billion cells. If we downsize to ~4GB or ~9GB then
>> we can
>> get working volume rendering. The 17GB never works regardless of scaling
>> nodes/mpi processes. The 4/9GB will work on 1 or 2 nodes.
>>
>> Am confused by the lack of rendering, as we don't have memory issues, or
>> an
>> other messages at all. Am wondering if there are any inherent limitation,
>> or I'm
>> missing something stupid.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave Trudgian

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*