[Paraview] Plot over Line source

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Sep 9 09:12:43 EDT 2015

Hi Richard,

If you don't mind, let's keep the discussion on the list so that others may
benefit from the discussion.

Outputting a vtkTable is the right thing to do. What I suspect is happening
with the first error message is that if you execute a programmable source
with the output set to one type of data set (e.g., vtkPolyData), there is a
bug that doesn't let you switch to a different type of output. As a
workaround, you can create a new Programmable Source, copy and paste your
code from the original Programmable Source into the new one, and set the
output type to vtkTableData *before* you click Apply.

To view line plots of your data, you'll need to create a Line Chart View by
splitting the 3D Render View. To do this, look for the icon on the top
right of the 3D Render View that has two vertically-oriented rectangles
side by side (tool tip "Split Horizontal"). In the list of views that comes
up, click on "Line Chart View". If your line plots are not visible right
away, you will need to make them visible by clicking on the eye icon next
to the Programmable Source. Voila, you should have a line plot.

Hope that helps,
Cory

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 5:23 AM, no name <keinepostnurmuell at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> index 0 on input port index 0 for algorithm
> vtkGeometryRepresentation(000000004FAC3570) is of type vtkTable, but a
> vtkDataSet is required.
>
> for the code I am using:
>
> import numpy as np
>

> switching_log = 'C:\\Users\\raphael\\Desktop\\logs auswertung\\newsims\\flat_Aex_1_E_-11\\flat_12\\switching.log'
>
> class DataFile(object):
>
>     def __init__(self, filename, h_xyz, m_xyz):
>
>         self._filename = filename
>
>         self._h_xyz = h_xyz
>
>         self._m_xyz = m_xyz
>
>                     def read_dat_file(self):
>
>         data = np.genfromtxt(self._filename, delimiter='', \
>
>         usecols=(0, self._h_xyz, self._m_xyz), unpack=True)
>
>         return data
>

> log = DataFile(switching_log, 9, 13)
>
> data = log.read_dat_file()
>

> A = np.rec.fromarrays(data, dtype= {'names': ['Time', 'Hx', 'Mx'], 'formats':['int','f8', 'f8']})
>
> print A.dtype.names
>

> for name in A.dtype.names:
>
>     array = A[name]
>
>     output.RowData.append(array, name)
>

> Now I could use the "vtkMultiBlockSet" or "vtkPolyData" as output DataSet,
> but then I get:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> File "<string>", line 19, in <module>
>
> File "<string>", line 41, in RequestData
>
> File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ParaView
> 4.3.1\lib\paraview-4.3\site-packages\vtk\numpy_interface\dataset_adapter.py",
> line 121, in __getattr__
>
> return getattr(self.VTKObject, name)
>
> AttributeError: RowData
>

> Because output.rowdata needs a vtkTable. I found the vtkTable in the
>  Paraview Guide in Chapter 13.2.1 "Reading a CSV" file - which is basically
> my thing, but I dont exactly understand where the difference between the
> example and my situation lies ...
>

> Thanks for your help!
>

> Richard
>
> On 8 September 2015 at 15:00, Cory Quammen <cory.quammen at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> You won't be able to set a vtkDataArray subclass as the input to a
>> PlotOverLine filter. Instead, you should read the log files in a
>> Programmable Source, and connect the Programmable Source to the
>> PlotOverLine filter.
>>
>> See Chapter 13 of the ParaView Guide [1].
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>> Cory
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.paraview.org/paraview-downloads/download.php?submit=Download&version=v4.3&type=data&os=all&downloadFile=TheParaViewGuide-v4.3-CC-Edition.pdf
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 3:57 AM, no name <keinepostnurmuell at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey there
>>>
>>> I have some hundred VTU files and I want to plot some data in a graph
>>> (Plot over Line - POL) next to it. The Problem is, the data from these POLs
>>> is coming from a simple log file, basically conaining only x and y values

>>> values = np.array((x,y))
>>> vtk_values = numpy_support.numpy_to_vtk(values, array_type=vtk.VTK_FLOAT)
>>> vtk_values.setName('values_2_show')
>>> vtk_values.setComponentName(1, 'x_value')

--
Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer