[Paraview] using python or pvpython with Paraview

Ishan Tembhekar ishan.tembhekar at caltech.edu
Tue Sep 1 18:01:01 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I have been using Paraview for a while with python scripts but every time I
used a script, I used to open paraview, then do tools, python shell and
then run the script.

I want to be able to run the script without opening paraview. I looked at
various forums that told me to update my PYTHONPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH with
the directory where I built paraview. But I was not able to get anything
working. I mostly could not find any location where the vtkPythonWrap
directory is located (thats the one the forums kept telling me to look for)

I use MacOS and I just downloaded it and dragged it to the applications
folder. So, I had a couple of questions (both for Paraview version 4.3.1)

1. For MacOS, I have paraview installed in /Applications/paraview2.app/.
How would I proceed to use my python script without opening paraview?
2. In the future, I would like to use it in Linux as well. Would the
procedure be similar to the MacOS case or different?

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Ishan