[Paraview] Volume Rendering 17GB 8.5 billion cell volume

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Oct 20 16:00:50 EDT 2015

Hi folks,

I wanted to close the loop on this. Here are my findings:

* ParaView master (4.4 should also do) + OpenGL2 + NVIDIA Tesla w 12 GB
memory: I verified that I can volume render data up to the capacity of the
card. I could volume render a 1400x1400x1400 volume of floats.

* ParaView master (4.4 should also do) + OpenGL2 + Mesa (OSMesa 11,
llvmpipe, swrast): Mesa has some fairly small limits on 3D texture size,
which is what we use for volume rendering. So, ~ 1000x1000x1000 will be the
upper end of what can be done for now. In time, we will implement multiple
textures / streaming to enable rendering of larger volumes.

Best,
-berk