[Paraview] About ParaView catalyst

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Oct 19 17:32:05 EDT 2015

Back in the day, with bluegene-P I was able to get ParaView compiled with
xlc working so it should be possible. (And before that others did it on
BGL.) However - I struggled with xl compilers on the mira at anl installs for
several days (see the dreaded -mminimal-toc error below). Despite great
help from the alcf support guys, and trying many many things, I eventually
gave up and went with the gnu compilers. But ... sometime after those few
terrible days that I do not care to repeat, Todd Gamblin at llnl
contributed a BGQ platform file to CMake. With that and latest cmake, there
is some hope that the xlc compile will just work.

/bgsys/drivers/ppcfloor/gnu-linux/powerpc64-bgq-linux/bin/ld:
/bgsys/drivers/V1R2M0/ppc64/comm/sys/lib/libpami.a(component-pami--CAPI.cnk.o)(.text._ZNSt8_Rb_treeIjSt4pairIKjjESt10_Select1stIS2_ESt4lessIjESaIS2_EE8_M_eraseEPSt13_Rb_tree_nodeIS2_E[_ZNSt8_Rb_treeIjSt4pairIKjjESt10_Select1stIS2_ESt4lessIjESaIS2_EE8_M_eraseEPSt13_Rb_tree_nodeIS2_E]+0xbc):
sibling call optimization to
`_ZNSt8_Rb_treeIjSt4pairIKjjESt10_Select1stIS2_ESt4lessIjESaIS2_EE8_M_eraseEPSt13_Rb_tree_nodeIS2_E'
does not allow automatic multiple TOCs; recompile with -mminimal-toc or
-fno-optimize-sibling-calls, or make
`_ZNSt8_Rb_treeIjSt4pairIKjjESt10_Select1stIS2_ESt4lessIjESaIS2_EE8_M_eraseEPSt13_Rb_tree_nodeIS2_E'
extern

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer