[Paraview] ParaView Environment Variables

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Oct 19 13:31:38 EDT 2015

Hi Bill,

This is a good project. Perhaps we can include a version of your man page
in the user's guide when it is finished?

I know about some of these environment variables:

- PARAVIEW_DATA_ROOT - used to point ParaView to a testing data repository.
This is really only used when ParaView's tests are run and likely isn't
useful to users.

- PV_NO_OFFSCREEN_SCREENSHOTS - just what it sounds like. If set, offscreen
rendering will not be used for generating screenshots, even if the ParaView
settings say that offscreen rendering should be used for generating
screenshots.

- VTK_AUTOLOAD_PATH - users shouldn't need to set this. From the
vtkObjectFactory documentation: "The first time CreateInstance is called,
all dll's or shared libraries in the environment variable VTK_AUTOLOAD_PATH
are loaded into the current process."

- VTK_RENDERER - this looks like a historical way to choose which render
window to instantiate. It doesn't look like it is used anymore.

- PV_DEBUG_LEAKS_VIEW - enables a window that shows the number of instances
of all VTK classes. Useful for debugging, not really useful for users.

-PV_DEBUG_TEST - I don't see this in the ParaView source anywhere

- PV_SETTINGS_DEBUG - turns on debugging message related to loading
ParaView's settings files, e.g., where it looked for the settings file.

- PV_PLUGIN_DEBUG - print debugging output having to do with where ParaView
looks for plugins.

- PV_PLUGIN_PATH - adds search path for plugins

- VTK_MATPLOTLIB_DEBUG - Enable verbose debugging output during
initialization of matplotlib.

Hope that helps,
Cory

Cory Quammen