[Paraview] VTK Data File Scalars Analysis

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Oct 16 17:12:10 EDT 2015

Guillermo,

vtkSplitColumnComponents assigns the names based on a guess that
3-component arrays are vectors with X, Y, Z components and 6-component
arrays represent symmetric 3x3 matrices, i.e.

XX XY XZ
XY YY YZ
XZ YZ ZZ

See ParaView/ParaViewCore/VTKExtensions/Core/vtkPVPostFilter.cxx, lines
147-174.

HTH,
Cory

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Guillermo Giraldo <guillegiraldo at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know how Paraview analyses scalar data from a VTK data file.
> Specially, how it extracts the components of a scalar and assigns names for
> color plots. For example if numComp is 3 they are named "Magnitude, X, Y
> and Z2, but if numComp is 6 they are named "Magnitude, XX, YY; ZZ, XY, XZ
> and YZ". How is this determined?
>
> Some questions I'd like to answer are: can this be done with only the VTK
> library? If not, are there any other library that can do it (e.g. paraview
> python)?
>
> Pointing to the specific code file in the git repository should be enough,
> but an explanation would be great!
>
> Thanks in advance and greetings.
> --
> Por favor confirmar recepción.