[Paraview] [EXT] Trusses to Tubes

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Fri Oct 16 13:34:45 EDT 2015

Hi Dennis,

> ... running extract surface and then tube is working very well for me.  I guess I never thought about a "line" element having a surface but apparently that's a line!

Yes, the "Extract Surface" filter's name is a little misleading. What it really does is convert a dataset from an unstructured grid (which may contain volumetric elements) to a polydata (which may only contain 0-, 1-, or 2-d primitives). In the process, any volume elements are represented by the portions of their bounding surface not shared with other volume elements.

The Tube filter only runs on polydata. So it is not exactly extracting the surface of a line so much as converting representations.

	David