[Paraview] Paraview 4.1.0: Tube filter vary radius by vector or scalar does not work properly

Jens Laube jlaube at hmi.uni-bremen.de
Thu Oct 15 10:29:43 EDT 2015

Dear Paraview users,

I am using the paraview version 4.1.0 to display forces between
nanoparticles from a Discrete Element simulation. For the visualization
I create vtk-files that look like the following minimal example:

/# vtk DataFile Version 2.0//
//Generated by lpp.py//
//ASCII//
//DATASET POLYDATA//
//POINTS 2 float//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//0.0 0.0 2e-09//
//LINES 1 3//
//2 0 1//
//
//CELL_DATA 1//
//VECTORS f_pair float//
//0.0 0.0 -2.12063e-08//
//SCALARS f_tot float 1//
//LOOKUP_TABLE default//
//2.12063e-08//
//
//POINT_DATA 2//
//VECTORS i float//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//VECTORS f float//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//VECTORS omega float//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//VECTORS v float//
//0.0 0.0 0.0//
//0.0 0.0 -0.4//
//SCALARS radius float 1//
//LOOKUP_TABLE default//
//1.53e-09//
//1.53e-09//
//SCALARS type float 1//
//LOOKUP_TABLE default//
//1.0//
//1.0//
//SCALARS id float 1//
//LOOKUP_TABLE default//
//1.0//
//2.0/

The lines defined in this file connect the particle centers and the
CELL_DATA VECTORS and SCALARS represent the interparticle force vector
and the absolute force respectively.
With this file I try to visualize the force by a tube with varying
radius and color depending on the magnitude of the vorce vector using
paraview 4.1.0. To this aim I use the Filters
"CellDatatoPointData"-->"Tube". In the scalars and Vectors field of the
"Tube"-filter I can choose the variables "/f_tot/" and "f_pair" from the
vtk-file, but if I try to scale the radius by vector, there is no
visible variation of the radius independent of the values in "Radius"
and "Radius Factor". The only way to receive a varying radius is
choosing the option "Vary radius By Absolute Scalar" but then I cannot
manipulate the minimum and maximum thickness of the tube by using the
values of "Radius" and "Radius Factor". Thus I receive a too large tube.
Do I miss something basic here? Could anyone give me a hint how to
customize the visualization properly?
Thanks a lot

Best Whishes
Jens Laube