[Paraview] Measuring a specific contour line generated in Paraview with Line object?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Oct 7 09:19:12 EDT 2015

Hi Jesse,

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Jesse Samluk <sevensam at udel.edu> wrote:

> Cory,
>
>   Two quick questions for you on the differences between “Ruler” and
> “PlotOverLine”.
>
>    I think what I am looking for is the Ruler source to give me the width
> of those white lines (as indicated on the image with the red line, attached
> again for reference). My question first question is, is there a way to save
> a Ruler in a state file such that it will automatically adjust to a new
> width of those white lines when I open another VTK file? Or do I have to
> manually adjust them with each VTK I open?

You'll have to do it manually. That would be a fancy (but cool!) trick to
do the processing needed to stick the rule endpoints to the white region.

>    Second question, when you said the line below, what did you mean (can
> you walk me through it?)? The way I take it is that the PlotOverLine gives
> me values of all the fields present as defined on the Ruler (which is cool,
> by the way), but not the width unless I define it. Am I on the right track
> with this one, or way off?

PlotOverLine will not give you the width. What I was suggesting was look at
the values in the properties Point1 and Point2. Each of these has x,y,z
values for the line endpoints. You can use the standard distance formula
for computing the distance between points - not from within ParaView, but
with a calculator, spreadsheet program, etc. - to compute the length of the
line used in the PlotOverLine filter.

Cory

--
Cory Quammen