[Paraview] Correctly Parallel Processing of OpenFoam results using pvserver

Armin Wehrfritz dkxls23 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:23:18 EDT 2015

As it was mentioned already, there are two independently developed
OpenFOAM reader for ParaView.

ParaView comes with its own built-in OpenFOAM reader (vtkOpenFOAMReader,
using the file extension .foam), and OpenFOAM has and alternative reader
(PV4FoamReader, using the file extension .OpenFOAM). OpenFOAM comes with
a little wrapper script called paraFoam, which creates/deletes a dummy
file with the respective extension and opens that file with ParaView.
Try "paraFoam -builtin" to use ParaView's built-in reader, or just
create a .foam file and open it with ParaView.

I generally use ParaView's built-in reader ("feels" faster and can read
decomposed cases :)) and hence I can use always the latest ParaView
version. But just to mention, if you have a heavy dataset also the
latest ParaView version won't be miraculously faster. Quite often the
biggest bottleneck is the disk IO. Also, OpenFOAM data is always
unstructured, which is slow in any case, no matter which reader or
version you use.

If you work a lot with OpenFOAM "zones" or "sets", one reader or the
other may be better suited. I rarely encounter any missing functionality
in ParaView's built-in reader, meaning you can visualise the usual flow
and Lagrangian fields. Just give it a try you can easily switch.

-Armin