[Paraview] Cross Site collaborative visualization

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Thu Oct 1 13:52:11 EDT 2015

Thanks Sebastien,

> On Oct 1, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Sebastien Jourdain <sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Brock,
>
> Some answer are provided below.
>
> I’m looking at a need to allow off campus and public (k-12, other schools) the ability to visualize data we host at our site.
>
> What kind of data? Are you expecting dynamic pipeline, or some kind of constrained exploration could be a possibility?

Not 100% sure about pipelines, but the data formats for the project are constrained. There are three instruments and we are hosting the data and making it available publicly for others to use, but also do some basic visualization without needing special access or need download the data.

> Along with these remote users, it would be nice if we could have multiple remote users share the same interactive vis session.
>
> ParaViewWeb can definitely share the same server and provide collaboration features, but for that you will need to setup a front-end that will allow connection to existing/running session. There is nothing complex about that, but ParaViewWeb only focus on the visualization aspect not on any specific deployment configuration like collaboration or authentication system.

Ok we can put an auth wrapper in front of it, or if ParaViewWeb doesn’t work use something like VirtaulGL + VNC to make a vis portal for the data.

> Would paraview Web be the way todo this?  Is there another tool or way you think we should do this?
>
> ParaViewWeb can certainly provide the most advance access to your data but will require some backend infrastructure and integration work.
> We also have other approaches that could be more reasonable for a school deployment which will put almost no constraints on the existing infrastructure (No need for server side GPU and so on...) and provide good capabilities of data exploration and visualization in a Web context.
>
> What is the status of ParaView Web?  Is it maintained and if so is that expected to stay the case for ~5 years?
>
> ParaViewWeb is definitely part of ParaView and therefore will be supported for the coming years with improvement expected.
>
> We will be presenting at SC15 (Super Computing) on our booth our work in Web Visualization. This will include ParaViewWeb improvements and the announcement of that other project.
>
> But we can certainly setup a meeting before that and talk in more details about your goals and what that other project could do for you.

I don’t have enough details on the project yet, and am working up a rough budget for the data storage, metadata extraction, and sharing.  The shared vis, is a side thing for this project.  After the first round of discussions I’ll likely take you up on that offer.