[Paraview] Smart volume rendering mode

Sergi Mateo Bellido sergi.mateo.bellido at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:17:11 EST 2015

Hi,

I think that I found a bug in the smart volume rendering mode in
Paraview 4.4.0 and 4.3.1 (I have not tried with older versions).

My input data is a XDMF file that indexes the data depending on the time
step and two binary raw files for each time step that represent the
values of two variables (a and b). For the sake of simplicity, this
example  only has a time step.

If I open the xmdf and visualize the 'a' variable using the smart volume
rendering mode, the visualization is wrong (you can see the results in
wrong.png). However, the results are ok if I change the volume rendering
mode to RayCast (good.png). They are also good If I filter the data
associated to the 'b' variable, so It looks like the problem is that the
rendering algorithm is not taking into account that I'm not visualizing
all the variables. The GPU-based rendering has the same issue.

I tried also with Paraview 5.0.0-RC1. At the beginning I thought it was
fixed (both visualizations were not so different) but then I realized
that some data was not being printed when I was using the smart
algorithm (wrong_5.0.0.png vs good_5.0.0.png).

You can download all the images from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyl06ur041hvtde/img.tar.gz?dl=0

Best regards,

Sergi