[Paraview] Differences between OpenGL and OpenGL2 versions of ParaView

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Nov 20 14:48:27 EST 2015

You could maybe have an actor per LOD and then swap actors in and out.

Actor owns the property, backface property, and texture. Changes to those
objects can cause VBO/IBO rebuilds (switching from surface to wireframe,
adding a texture map, flat versus phong shading, edge visibility, line
width, etc.) The old backend only looked at the actor's property which is
sort of broken.

For example in the old backend: create two properties, one set to
wireframe, one set to surface. Then create an actor and mapper set to use
display lists. Switching between the two properties will cause an actor
mtime change, but the properties themselves would still have low mtimes I
believe. In that case the old backend will end up stuck in one
representation because it only looks at the property mtime not actor.

To make the VBO/IBO rebuild safely (but less often than currently) I think
the solution is to check the mtimes as is done currently, if those are
modified then collect up the parameters that require a VBO or IBO rebuild
and compare them to a stored value from the last build. If different force
a rebuild. That is the best solution IMO just takes some time. I sort of
wanted to do that anyhow but now I can say you forced me into it :-)

Thanks
Ken

--
Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.