[Paraview] Analyzing and animating a series of CSV tables

Einat Lev einatlev at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Nov 11 15:57:10 EST 2015

Hello all!

I have a set of CSV data files (named file.csv.1, file.csv.2, file.csv.3 and so on), that I want to load and analyze in Paraview. Each file has 100000 lines, and there is a total of 10 files. The loading works fine. Converting to Structured Grid also works fine.
I display the colored surface, but when I get to the last frame, an error pops up, saying that

The input table must have exactly 1000000 rows. Currently it has 11000000 rows.

If I then apply a contour filter to get an isosurface, the isosurface shows, but I also get warnings:

Generic Warning: In /Users/kitware/buildbot-slave/paraview-bigmac-osx-shared-release_osx10_7_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/VTK/Common/Core/vtkMath.cxx, line 1344
Unable to factor linear system

Generic Warning: In /Users/kitware/buildbot-slave/paraview-bigmac-osx-shared-release_osx10_7_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/VTK/Filters/Core/vtkGridSynchronizedTemplates3D.cxx, line 305
Cannot compute gradient of grid

Generic Warning: In /Users/kitware/buildbot-slave/paraview-bigmac-osx-shared-release_osx10_7_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/VTK/Common/Core/vtkMath.cxx, line 1344
Unable to factor linear system

Generic Warning: In /Users/kitware/buildbot-slave/paraview-bigmac-osx-shared-release_osx10_7_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/VTK/Filters/Core/vtkGridSynchronizedTemplates3D.cxx, line 305
Cannot compute gradient of grid

Any suggestions? The end goal is an animation of the isosurfaces over the duration of the sequence.

(attached an example of one of the steps)

Einat Lev

Lamont Assistant Research Professor
einatlev at ldeo.columbia.edu
Phone: 845-365-8616